The holiday season is in high gear and with it come unique risks to one’s safety and well-being. There are a lot of disruptions from normal routines. Whether you plan to spruce up your home, participate in neighborhood events, or visit friends and family, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. Holiday mishaps can result in a trip to the emergency room or even serious injuries that extend well beyond the season.
As an attorney, every day I am personally involved in fighting for those injured as a result of the negligence and carelessness of others. With the unique risks posed during holiday activities, I want to alert you to the perils and injuries frequently experienced during this time of year.
- Child Safety. Toys come in all shapes and sizes and some of their small pieces and components can be potentially dangerous for youngsters. Electronics and even some greeting cards come with small batteries – such as lithium ‘button batteries’ – that can overheat and have been known to burn when touching the skin. Get familiar with your kid’s holiday toys, games, and models. Make sure they are age appropriate.
- Choking and Swallowing. Tree ornaments, light bulbs, icicles, tinsel, and small toys are potential choking hazards, especially for tiny tots. Common holiday foods such as peanuts, popcorn, and hard candy also pose risks and should be kept out of reach of children under age 4.
- Fires. Most residential fires occur during winter months. Keep candles away from children, pets, walkways, and curtains. Menorah candles look beautiful in the window, where most people place them, but they are often too close to curtains. Electrical fires can occur when circuits are overloaded with lights, decorations, and accessories. Frayed extension cords, plugs, and power cords on dated decorations create added risks. Space heaters are involved in 79% of home fire deaths. Keep heaters away from things like upholstered furniture, curtains, clothing, paper, and plastic bags.
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents. Wet floors. Ice. Slippery steps. Indoor decorations, temporary electrical cords, relocated furniture, and pets in the homes of family and friends pose unique risks of falling.
- Food Poisoning. Mistletoe, holly, poinsettias, and Jerusalem cherry plants – commonly used as decorations – are considered potentially poisonous. ‘Bubble lights’ containing methylene chloride can be poisonous even if labeled nontoxic. Snow sprays may be harmful if the aerosol propellants are used improperly.
Injuries can happen anywhere. To avoid holiday injuries, preparation can be a huge help. I recommend:
- Manage Stress. Keep a relaxed and positive outlook. Make sure to get proper sleep. Get support from family and friends. Remain alert.
- Manage Your Surroundings. Keep candles away from children, pets, walkways, trees, and curtains. Never leave fireplaces, stoves, or candles burning in an unoccupied room. Check your children’s sleepwear to be sure that it is flame-retardant.
- Update Your First-Aid Skills. Learn how to provide early treatment for children and adults who are choking, suffer minor burns, or cuts.
- Refresh Your Infrastructure. Replace the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detector. Change the filters in your furnace and air cleaner to improve the healthy flow of air. Breathing dry air through dirty filters that merely recirculate dust and infection-causing agents – making you more prone to infections.
What To Do If You’re Injured.
The unexpected nature of these seasonal accidents can lead to broken bones along with muscle strains, aches, and even serious, life-changing injuries. If you or a member of your family is injured, contact the attorneys at Friend, Levinson & Turner. We apply a disciplined approach to gain a comprehensive understanding of the facts, issues, and injuries and advise you of possible courses of action. We know the territory, the pitfalls, and the hurdles.
Chicagoland Personal Injury Attorneys. We Help Victims.
The Attorneys at Friend, Levinson & Turner Law are knowledgeable and expert in representing those harmed by the negligence or carelessness of others. Claims for victims of holiday mishaps are complex and frequently multi-dimensional.
Insurance companies rely on professional adjusters to negotiate and fight accident claims. In order to deal with these professionals, you need a skilled attorney to protect your rights. We know your rights and the applicable laws. We are your advocates. We are experts at negotiating with powerful insurance companies. Fifty years of experience counts.
The Attorneys at Friend, Levinson & Turner Law make the legal process as stress-free as possible. We focus on recovering compensation for you – while you and your family concentrate on physical and emotional recovery.
If you or a loved one is injured or a victim of an unsafe product or the negligence of others, please call my office at 312-346-8465 or contact us using the form below.