Holiday Season is beginning and with it comes some unique risks to one’s safety and well-being. We’re rushing, distracted, and stressed. Time is closing in for finding those special holiday gifts. We’re driven to make one more stop at the mall, schedule dinner with friends, check out a sale, decorate the house, and attend a school concert. It is overwhelming.
In the rush, we expose ourselves to risks of injury that impact the entire family. As an attorney, every day I am personally involved in fighting for those injured as a result of the negligence and carelessness of others. With the unique risks posed by our increased activity and distractions during the holiday season, I want to alert you to some of the perils and injuries frequently experienced during this time of the year.
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents. Wet floors. Ice. Snow-covered curbs. Slippery steps. Muddy, thawing yards. The floors in malls and aisles at stores are bound to be wet, and wet surfaces contribute to falls. Slip-and-fall injuries result in medical treatments and expenses, keep you away from work, and limit your ability to join in on holiday fun.
- Car Accidents. Any time you mix large groups of pedestrians with drivers searching for parking spots, you risk a dangerous parking lot situation. Drivers have their eyes on vacant parking spots and not on you and your family. Children can dart between parked cars resulting in a tragedy.
- Head and Shoulder Trauma. Many big box stores stack inventory overhead and post signs saying ‘Ask for Assistance’. Reaching for these yourself puts you at risk of heavy objects tumbling on your head and upper body.
- Shopping Cart Accidents. Not everyone successfully balances items when filling a shopping cart. Tipping shopping carts are especially dangerous for children in or near the cart.
- Thefts and Assaults. Midnight door-buster sales are fun but also pose a danger by attracting muggers and thieves. Distracted shoppers become easy prey. Walking through a poorly lit parking lot alone, with shopping bags or a cart full of expensive electronics, is potentially dangerous anytime.
To avoid these frequent holiday injuries, preparation can be a huge help. I recommend:
- Slow down. Being in a rush makes you more vulnerable. Recognize you need to slow down during inclement winter weather and be more aware of your surroundings. Puddles can ice up. Black ice can cover sidewalks and catch you completely unaware.
- Go hands-free. Your hands and arms play a critical role in maintaining balance and catching yourself in mid-fall. Keep them free! Consider using a backpack or something that will keep your arms free. Talking on a cell phone while walking is asking for trouble.
- Wear ‘appropriate’ shoes. Many people forget how important it is to wear the appropriate shoes during wintertime. Shoes for winter should be… flat for balance . . . have sufficient tread for traction . . . and keep your feet warm and dry. Numb feet slow your reaction time and can lead to falls.
- Look both ways. It may sound trite, but it’s great advice when crossing streets as well as walking through parking lots. Teach your children never to dart between cars.
- Exercise caution if you indulge in late-night shopping. Try to shop with a friend or family member. Always be aware of your surroundings.
- What To Do If You’re Injured.
The unexpected nature of these seasonal accidents can lead to broken bones along with muscle strains, aches, and even serious, life-changing injuries. If you are injured, contact the attorneys at Friend, Levinson & Turner. We apply a disciplined approach to gain a comprehensive understanding of the facts, issues, and injuries which we use to advise you of possible courses of action. We know the territory, the pitfalls, and the hurdles.
Chicagoland Personal Injury Attorneys. We Help Victims.
The Attorneys at Friend, Levinson & Turner Law are knowledgeable and expert in representing those harmed by the negligence or carelessness of others. Claims for victims of holiday mishaps are complex and frequently multi-dimensional.
Insurance companies rely on professional adjusters to negotiate and fight accident claims. In order to deal with these professionals, you need a skilled attorney to protect your rights. We know your rights and the applicable laws. We are your advocates. We are experts at negotiating with powerful insurance companies. Fifty years of experience counts.
The Attorneys at Friend, Levinson & Turner Law make the legal process as stress-free as possible. We focus on recovering compensation for you – while you and your family concentrate on physical and emotional recovery.
If you or a loved one is injured or a victim of an unsafe product or the negligence of others, please call my office at 312-346-8465 or contact us using the form below.